Tuesday 22 November 2011

Pho Jula: Restaurant Review



In Anchorage I frequently took the 9 Bus between the Downtown Transit Center and the Dimond Mall in South Anchorage, and each day I would pass Pho Jula.

It seemed like a rather knew restaurant that offered Thai and Exotic Chinese Cuisine (so their sign read), and it stood out to me above all the others on that bus line.
I had to try it.

But how did it range among prices?
I've noticed one of the most difficult parts of living in Anchorage is finding a sit-down restaurant that can give you a meal for under $20, that includes drinks and a tip and an appetizer if you so choose.

First noticeable characteristic about Pho Jula.
The restaurant is small, quaint, and petite.
The first plus was free hot tea, an essential good start to any Asian Cuisine restaurant.
I ordered an Appetizer, but first, I'll begin with the entree. It was a mixed meat and pepper soup, and overall, the color was not that appealing. However, the taste was phenomenal.


Very well-cooked and savory.
Although, you can see the red peppers in the meaty soup, this was not a dish that overpowers the spice at all. It could have had a little more kick in the spice. In fact, when I order spicy food with the red pepper on the menu, I look for something that gives you a mouthwatering spicy urge. This soup was not that powerful, but it was still delicious, and it was served with the veggies in the top image and a lime wedge.
Price $9.99

Now, the first thing I got to try in Pho Jula I wanted to reveal last.
This was something that I had never tried before, and I am so glad I ordered it.

This was Pho Jula's take on Vegetarian Spring Rolls. They are served in a crystalline dough with smooth even tastes of cucumbers and vegetables. The sauce was a perfect dip. I even used some in my soup. I had never eaten one like this before, and both the plating and the taste were excellent.

Price: $4.99

I don't often order appetizers because they jack up the price. However, this one was worth it. Overall, Pho Jula is a great restaurant. It was a good experience, but aside from the not so peppery soup, one thing that stood out to me was the word "exotic." This is a restaurant that advertises on their sign "Exotic Chinese Cuisine," yet there was nothing super out of the ordinary on the menu. It all seemed like very basic and simple Asian American Ingredients.

$9.99 for a lunch special was one of the lower ones on the menu.
$4.99 for the perfect spring roll appetizer was definitely worth it.

Verdict:
Great Food, but I would go back only for the tea and spring rolls to truly get the best of the deal.

If you'd like to try Pho Jula, it is located at the corner of Arctic Blvd and Airport International Rd. It is accessible on Bus Route 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment