Thursday 24 November 2011

Evergreen Market: Restaurant Review



During one of my first weeks in Anchorage, I was stuck outside waiting, and I wandered across the street to a place that was advertising lunch specials. It was a convenience mart, but the back was a small restaurant.

It looked almost dismal. The floors were a little dirty. The chairs were all black and metallic, and the tables were plain and rickety. There was only one other customer, a person that wasn't eating anything for some reason.

However, I looked at the menu on their counter wall, and I saw that they offered a Beef and Noddle Lunch special (identical to the one in the picture), so I decided to give that a shot. After all, it was only $7.99.

First, there was an appetizer setting, and I was offered the choice of a salad or KemChi, a korean spice leaf. In addition to that, the server brought me a steamed bun and more vegetables as an appetizer. Then, the server brought the beef and noodles, and I almost had a jaw dropping moment. The portions were enormous. I actually had to confirm with the server that the entire lunch was only $7.99. They were still not done with their generosity. At the end, they brought me some of their homemade dessert that was not a normal item on the menu. They just had extra of their own food, and they decided to share it with me.

As far as their sign reads, they only carry a lunch service.

Beef and Noodles - Enormous Portions of Food for $7.99

Sushi -- 24 Sushi Rolls for $6.99
Much Lower than any grocery store.

Teriyaki Chicken -- Chicken and Rice $9.99
I was told this one was a favorite, and I decided to try it once. However,it was only chicken,rice, and sauce. I thought it was such a great deal to get the beef and noodles, that it became a regular lunch spot for me.

I went so often, my natural awkwardness and lack of basic social interaction skills began to make the staff uncomfortable, so I had to cut back on my visits.

The atmosphere isn't very welcoming, but the food tastes amazing, and the portions are enormous for the prices.

This place sometimes offers free coffee as well.

WIFI? YES
I connected to a network not owned by Evergreen Market. It was called "Dlink," and it can be found at certain places in Anchorage.

Evergreen Market is at
The Corner of Fireweed Ln and Spenard
2401 Spenard Rd.
It is available on Bus Lines 7 and 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment